This website is all about Mercedes Benz 600 Limosines.
This website attempts to provide general information about these magnificent automobiles, but it also documents the specifics of my 1969 600 SWB.
For your delectation,
you will find pictures, videos, information, and sources for parts and service.
Specific to my car, you will find a break down of the data card and data plate, maintenance history, photographs, and provenance.
If you own one of
these wonderful cars, or just admire them from afar, you've come to the
right place. Enjoy!
Last Updated June, 2012 - The Car is at home . The following items are currently being addressed:
- Cold Start Valve Purchased - I purchased a NOS cold start valve. One of mine has broken ceramics.
- Trouble Light Purchased - I purchased an original light that plugs into the small switch under the hood. This is VERY cool.
- Radiator Cap Purchased - I purchased a NOS radiator cap. The plating on mine is gone.
- KlimaKomputer Purchased - I purchased this because my computer isnt functioning properly. This has modern electronics, lets see if it works.
- Spare Rubber Bumpers Purchased - I just bought the 4 rubber bumpers which go in the spares kit. My car was missing these. I now have a complete spares kit and complete hydraulic spares kit.
- Used main air tank purchased - I just bought a spare main air tank. My car doesent stay fully up, the red light comes on quickly. But the car doesnt fall all the way down either. Still investigating.
- Original repair manuals purchased - I bought an original Mercedes repair manual from the 60s, and a factory Mercedes reprint from the 90s. The original definitely has better images.
- Original factory bulletins purchased - I bought a suite of original Mercedes service bulletins for the 600 from a specilty automotive document store.
- Spare set of door handles purchased - I just bought a spare set of door handles. I am going to these chromed as a test of the chroming place.
- Spare set of used front brake pads purchased - I just bought a spare set of OEM front brake pads. I am going to get new ones made from these patterns by Porterfield Brakes .
- Complete Hydraulic Spares Kit purchased - I just bought a complete hydraulic spare parts kit. My old hydraulic spares kit had a broken hinge and a few small items missing.
- Complete Spares Kit purchased - I just bought a complete spare parts kit with a very nice foam cover. My old spares kit had most items missing.
- Interior Leather purchased - I just bought six cow hides from Kienle in the correct Cognac Leather.
- Styrofoam Spare Tire Insert purchased - I just purchased the styrofoam in the spare tire, and all the parts that go with it.
- New coil and coil wire purchased - The coil went bad and was replaced, I broke the coil wire in the process. New Beru ends and wire were sourced from Mercedes, but I have not made the complete wire yet..
- Repair bearing in the fan belt idler arm or alternator - There is a ticking sound when the car is started and cold. Typically one of the bearings is out of round. Parts are sourced, but Mercedes wants $300 for the idler arm.
- Suspension - The front sags a bit when sitting, and the red suspension light stays on for quite a while. I have not yet diagnosed the problem.
- Rear trunk lock - This seems to be stuck, and the key doesnt work. To open the trunk I have to turn off the hydraulic system and then open the trunk.
- Oil Change
- Rear curtain tracks - trying to source the plastic tracks that go into the wood around the rear window. my current tracks are falling apart from age.
- Rechroming - I'm going to start the process of getting items rechromed. It was recommended that I use Sherm's Plating in Sacramento, California.
- Interior Leather - This has been sourced from Keinle - Rare, and Proper Cognac Leather - 110 Euros per sq. meter! I think I need 7 hides. Link to Picture.
- Climate Control Computer - this is intermittent. I think it needs a bit of attention. I purchased a modern replacement computer. Lets see if it works.
- Door piping - The cloth piping around the doors is falling apart. This is no longer available from Mercedes, I am looking for a source.
- Thermometer - The thermometer has been cut, and therefore does not work. I will need to have it restored.
This site is best viewed at
1024x768 or Higher.
Images and Documents are optimized to be viewed at 1280x1024 or higher
Some of the files can be quite large, a broadband connection is advisable
This web site is
provided for the personal, uncompensated enjoyment of Mercedes Benz 600
fans. it is not associated with Daimler AG, or Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.
Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, manuals, and
other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their
use is allowed under the fair
use clause of the Copyright
Law. Design, original photography, and original artwork however
are copyright © 2007 Jay Brown.